If someone disregards social practice or socially engaged art, just tell them that it’s called radical pedagogy, and that it has always been happening, and always will. Forget social practice, forget professionalization, forget nouns. Many people worked this way in the past and many people will work this way in the future. Social practices are verbs.
5 IDEAS FOR DEVELOPING YOUR SOCIAL PRACTICES:
- Build a political analysis with a theory of change
- Participate in long-term projects that already exist (some are here and here)
- Ask yourself: Would I want to participate in my own project?
- Consider not doing the project if participants aren’t into it (see Ben Kinmont Reading)
- Consider going into debt for long-term, low-income, community housing rather than an MFA
- Recognize that the person you can change the most is yourself